Hi all! I’m going to share with you my very first dress!
I am pretty thrilled about it. I used Vogue 8810 to make this dress. I’ve been wanting a button down dress for… well, forever really. But as I’m sure most of you have dealt with, finding a button down top that fits over a larger bust is hard enough, and a button down dress that actually fits every where is nearly impossible! So I was so excited when I realized I could make myself this type of dress and it could actually fit!
I decided to go with view A (no sleeves, and a straight skirt) for a few reasons. 1) My aforementioned aversion to sleeves. 2) I have a lot skirts and dresses that have fuller skirts, and I figured I should take advantage of being able to make a straight skirt that actually fits. 3) I was planning this dress as a “wearable muslin” as I wasn’t too sure of how it would fit or if it would be flattering, so I honestly just wanted to do the least amount of work I could! That’s also why I chose this broadcloth for the dress, because it was just so cheap!
There are definitely a few fit issues, which I expected on the first run, pretty much all with the bodice. The arm scythes are super long, there is too much fabric at my high bust, and the shoulders are to wide. I just cut a straight size 24 because with the ease my bust measurement fit easily, but I think this is what people mean when they say you should cut for your high bust measurement and then do an FBA. If I had done that, I would have started with an 18 or 20. So next time I will try that, but I want the hip size to be the same, so I think I’d have to grade to a larger size? I will have to do some research. I could also gather the shoulders more (I have really narrow shoulders for my size according to pretty much all of my clothes) and possibly raise the arm scythes. I will have to think about how to tackle that.
For the life of me, I could not figure out how to do the facings for the arm holes. I’m not sure if I was really tired or what, but I eventually got so frustrated that I just used the facing pieces and made bias tape out of them, then attached them the same way as I did for my Sorbetto. I will have to try those again sometime when I am not so sleepy!
There also seems to be a lot of fabric in the back, especially at the waist. I think this is intentional looking at the model for the pattern, but I don’t love it. Also, although this is pretty flattering with the belt and all, I think it would be even more so if the belt were right at my natural waist, which is probably and inch or two higher. So I might cut the bodice shorter and the skirt a little longer next time.
Overall though, I am quite happy with it, especially for something I wasn’s sure would be wearable. I am thinking about adding some patch pockets to the front, but I think I’ll see how often it actually gets worn first. That’s something I love about making my own clothes – it’s no big deal if you want to change things up later!
I finished one more project this week – this cute little pouch for my dad! The last time I visited, I noticed that he was carrying a few things around in a little pouch I made in Home Ec. in 7th grade. Yes, a tiny piece of fabric has been kicking around in my dad’s pocket for 18 years. This week is his 60th birthday, so I decided it was time for a new one! It came out pretty adorable, if I do say so myself.
Hope you all have a great week!
Until next time,