Seersucker Sorbetto

Hello all!  Today I am going to share with you something that I am quite proud of even thought it didn’t turn out as great as I would’ve liked – I made a top!



I’ve made lots and lots of skirts (mostly very simple elastic waist gathered ones), but this is the first shirt I’ve attempted.  I used the Colette Sorbetto pattern, which was a great way to get into tops because you can download it as a pdf for free!  It was also pretty easy – just two pattern pieces.  And no sleeves, which are still pretty scary to me.

I had a yard of this green seersucker so I decided to use that, but I didn’t have quite enough so…


Fancy back!

I made the back with a teal gingham!  I went to the lovely Sew L.A. (if you live in LA I highly recommend this store – the women here are always so nice and helpful.  And they have really fun classes!  It helps that I only live about a mile away…) to find something to coordinate, and they suggested this pairing.  I never would have picked it out myself but I really love the combination, and it has given me more confidence to do some fun pattern mixing in the future.  Here is a similar fabric.

To do this I just measured where I wanted the seam to be on the back (to be honest this had a lot to do with how much seersucker I had, but I am glad it was below the arm scythe) and marked it on the pattern. Then I cut both of the pieces with an extra 5/8″ for the seam allowance, sewed the pieces together, and pressed the seam open.  Then I had a full back piece!  I’m not sure if this is the best way to make this kind of alteration, but it seems to have worked well! 


Two pieces for the back.


Pinned right sides together for sewing.












I did a couple of new things for this pattern: First, I made bust darts and pleats!  I’ve done a little pleating for a tote bag, so this felt very similar.  Also, I made and attached bias tape for the first time!  I used the Colette tutorial to make bias tape, which was a little annoying to be honest, but I think it will be easier as I do it more often.  The instructions on how to attach it that came with the pattern were super clear.  I think it looks so cute and I can’t wait to play around with contrasting bias tapes on future garments.


Close up of attached bias tape. And my sewing label, which has a hand-drawn rendering of my guinea pig, Rosie!


Bias tape!













The only major issue I have with this one is the fit.  It’s a little small, especially after I washed it (I know why you’re supposed to prewash all your fabric now!).  I used the biggest size on the pattern which just fits me, but I think next time I will try to do one of those mythical full bust adjustments I see from ladies who are more ample in that area.  I think this would actually relieve all of the issues, as from my reading it seems this adjustment would make the top slightly larger in the waist as well.  So I will be trying that!  For now it might be mostly relegated to “undershirt” use, sadly.  I’m also thinking about trying to do the separate panel in the back thing again, but with gathers or a pleat or something to have a little more ease.  In general I think this pattern with give me a ton of options, once I get the fit right!


This top looks pretty fly under chambray

I’m pretty excited at the idea of making tops, because then I can really start to build a whole wardrobe.  There will definitely be another one of these puppies soon!

Until next time,



4 thoughts on “Seersucker Sorbetto

  1. Pingback: Weekend Away (Kind of) | Dots, Stripes, and Florals

  2. Pingback: It’s a dress! | Dots, Stripes, and Florals

  3. Pingback: Dots, Stripes, and Florals

  4. Pingback: Collared Green Sorbetto | Dots, Stripes, and Florals

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s